[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Wed Sep 9 17:32:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 16:03 +0100, David Damerell wrote:
> On Wednesday, 9 Sep 2009, Hari Sekhon wrote:
> >The solution being? Remove benefits and make it an even playing field to
> >encourage people to work hard and compete.
>
> Thus a return to the jolly Victorian practice of allowing people to
> starve to death if they have no work. Brilliant!

Yes.  Just like every other SUCCESSFUL country in the world.

> Tripe. Pay _rises_ are a lot bigger in the upper tax bands; someone
> getting that 5K raise you think is all is worth bothering with may get
> only 2.5K of it, but no-one at the minimum-wage end of the scale is
> getting 2.5K raises to begin with!

I'm getting a fixed 1.5% pay rise - that's all my current employer can
afford.  I'm in a very senior position, and that equates to just over
£1200 per year, of which I will actually see much less than half.  My
junior staff get a BIGGER percentage rise, and for some of them that
will mean £2250 more per year, most of which they'll keep.

> There's little incentive for effort in the upper band because most
> upper-rate taxpayers are extremely well off compared to most of the
> people in Britain and, if they don't love money for money's sake, can
> live pretty comfortably. So why work harder?

I've worked damned hard to get to where I am.  I didn't get there by
means of nepotism or "the old school tie" - I worked for it, and earned
it - just like ANYONE else can, if they get properly educated and are
prepared to work hard for what they want.  My wife and I live very
comfortably, and don't "love money for money's sake", (though it's very
useful stuff to have!).

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk