[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 05:43:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 1:17 AM, John G
Walker<johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 22:41:56 +0100 Christopher Hunter
> <cehunter at gb-x.org> wrote:
>
>> I don't have bank loans!
>
> Then you're a very unusual person. You don't have a mortgage, you don't
> use credit cards... Most people in the developed world, in fact, are
> heavily in debt. It's very Victorian of you to only pay out what you
> earn, but maybe that's why you feel you're badly-off, when the rest of
> us borrow as a matter of daily habit - and pay vast sums to financiers
> who contribute nothing as a result

I'm not entirely sure why 'Victrorian' is being used as a pejorative
term.  I don't think I share the economic or social view of
Christopher or Hari but I think a person who lives sustainably should
be admired, not pilloried.  I would also point out that my own
experience bears out that it's perfectly possible to live in such a
manner (ie without borrowing money, and by maintaining a suitably
simple life) on a very low income - I did so for many years.  Now that
I earn a generous amount of money, I actually find it much harder to
not spend more than I ought!

S.
--
Stephen Nelson-Smith