[Gllug] aptitude and source packages

Sean Burlington sean at practicalweb.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 12:36:31 UTC 2010

On 14 April 2010 10:12, Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at workshy.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 09:57:32AM +0100, Sean wrote:
>> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html
>>
>> But now it's marked as obsolete - and I can't find documentation on
>> how to do source install with aptitude.

>  But now that apt-get
> tracks for itself which packages were deliberately installed and which
> were automatically installed to resolve dependencies, aptitude offers no
> benefit at all that I can see as a cli tool for package management.

Thanks - that's news to me - I shall now assume that suggestions to
use aptitude instead of apt are out of date (well maybe I'll check the
date of the page I'm reading ;-)

> Ah, I think I see the problem; it's not that particular page that's
> obsolete, it's the whole document that's marked as obsolete, taken as a
> whole.  Trust me, the information on that page is still perfectly good.

Yup - that's what's been worrying me - and thanks for the reassurance

Building from source isn't something I do often - but sometimes that
method of backporting a package or just tweaking a config option in
the build has been sweet

--

Sean Burlington

www.practicalweb.co.uk