[Gllug] aptitude and source packages

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Wed Apr 14 09:12:42 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 09:57:32AM +0100, Sean wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've found the apt howto really useful on source packages
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html
>
> But now it's marked as obsolete - and I can't find documentation on
> how to do source install with aptitude.

Why do this with aptitude?  What's the gain over apt-get?  aptitude is a
better package browser than dselect (not hard) and I can see why
somebody might use aptitude as a cli tool for querying installed
packages - it's simply more powerful than the alternatives, even if the
syntax is bloody horrible and poorly documented.  But now that apt-get
tracks for itself which packages were deliberately installed and which
were automatically installed to resolve dependencies, aptitude offers no
benefit at all that I can see as a cli tool for package management.

Ah, I think I see the problem; it's not that particular page that's
obsolete, it's the whole document that's marked as obsolete, taken as a
whole.  Trust me, the information on that page is still perfectly good.

--
Bruce

What would Edward Woodward do?