[Gllug] Cloning only one of two partitions & how necessary is swapspace...

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sat Apr 10 09:01:32 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 03:04 +0100, general_email at technicalbloke.com
wrote:
> My other (fairly unimportant and quite possibly already discussed to
> death here in the past) question is about swap space. Although I
> understand the terrible write endurance of SSDs is rapidly becoming an
> myth/anachronism I am curious if there is a downside to running without
> swap? I assume I would lose the ability to hibernate if I disable it so
> I'll probably keep it, I'm just wondering if anything bad might happen
> if I didn't.

It's probably still a bad idea to try too many read / write operations
to SSD, so swap (which is still necessary unless you have lots of RAM)
has to be elsewhere.  On one machine, I have a little "throwaway" drive
just for swap - which largely obviates the problems!

Another approach was to use a "RAM drive" for swap - I have 2 GB of
normal RAM that is battery-backed that I use for this purpose.  This is
only really possible on some motherboards that will take a lot of RAM!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk