[Gllug] Home UPS recommendations

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 07:34:33 UTC 2010

On 22 April 2010 11:05, Peter Childs <peterachilds at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 April 2010 13:01, Martin A. Brooks <martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, April 20, 2010 11:10, Bruce Richardson wrote:
>>
>> I have been entirely happy with the APC SmartUPS series, which I'm pretty
>> sure does everything you need. The one I have is:
>>
>> http://www.dabs.com/products/apc-smart-ups-750va-480w-usb-ser-with-software-3HQ3.html?refs=50555
>>

> Why are the Trust ones so much cheaper?
>
> http://www.saverstore.com/product/20019953/Trust-15597-PW-4055T-550VA-UPS-Energy-Protector

You generally get what you pay for with UPSes.
The differences lie in:
1) Resistance to abnormal power supply, lightning strikes etc. More
expensive UPS is better protected.
2) Efficiency of supply. Power is wasted in the conversion from batter
to 240Volts for your computer. A more expensive UPS will waste less.
3) RF interference. A more expensive UPS will cause less RF interference.

Kind Regards

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk