[Gllug] Hardware fault

Chris Miles chrismil at cix.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 08:19:05 UTC 2010

Dylan wrote:
> Thanks for the comments
>
> I got my fingers on a PSU tester and it came out clean. Swapping the PSU out
> of my own box onto the suspect motherboard gave the same symptoms so a new
> motherboard/processor combo is now on order ..
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Dylan

Hi Dylan,

I'd also try a reset having powered up.

My motherboard will not boot from cold (i.e. from total lack of power).
I've read its a BIOS problem (some interaction with 64 bit processors).
The fans come up but nothing else, no beeps or disk activity. Pressing
hardware reset then starts a normal boot.

If I shutdown but leave the power connected then I can just power on
next time.

I've been caught several time when there's been a power cut; I start
thinking I've serious problems until I remember to use the hardware reset.

Chris
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk