[Gllug] Rsync dovecot Maildir directories

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Apr 6 11:38:33 UTC 2010

On 04/06/2010 12:12 PM, Bruce Richardson wrote:
>> The other advantage of offloading this job to the mail client is that
>> you no longer need to manually merge chunks of emails back upstream (
>> which is what one might need to do if using multiple imap servers - and
>> they both see content changing ).
>
> IMAP servers don't let you modify existing messages.  If it looks as if
> you can do this, it's because your mail client is hiding the process of
> creating a new message and deleting the old one.

Right, I meant more along the lines of imap-server on the laptop being
hit by thunderbird locally on the laptop, and you doing things like
moving emails around between folders, deleting them etc. And then the
imap-server on laptop needing to sync those changes upstream to
imap-server on the net.

- KB
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk