[Gllug] Rsync dovecot Maildir directories

gvim gvimrc at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 6 14:06:03 UTC 2010

On 06/04/2010 12:38, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 04/06/2010 12:12 PM, Bruce Richardson wrote:
>>> The other advantage of offloading this job to the mail client is that
>>> you no longer need to manually merge chunks of emails back upstream (
>>> which is what one might need to do if using multiple imap servers - and
>>> they both see content changing ).
>>
>> IMAP servers don't let you modify existing messages.  If it looks as if
>> you can do this, it's because your mail client is hiding the process of
>> creating a new message and deleting the old one.
>
> Right, I meant more along the lines of imap-server on the laptop being
> hit by thunderbird locally on the laptop, and you doing things like
> moving emails around between folders, deleting them etc. And then the
> imap-server on laptop needing to sync those changes upstream to
> imap-server on the net.
>
> - KB

I'm trying to keep my email off the internet :-) so I have a POP3 account in Thunderbird which moves incoming mail to a local IMAP/Dovecot server. If I don't duplicate/rsync the Maildir folder on the laptop then how will Thunderbird know if it's locally cached copies are up to date? Besides, I've found Thunderbird is a bit too busy when you have local caching, synchronising and indexing enabled.

gvim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk