[Gllug] Rsync dovecot Maildir directories

gvim gvimrc at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 6 02:47:57 UTC 2010

For years all my mail has been kept in Thunderbird's default mbox format but I've been uneasy about it for a while and recently copied everything into Maildir folders using Dovecot IMAP. The thing is I'm now wondering what the implications are for rsync-ing to my laptop for weekends away. I've been using a simple rsync one-liner to update my Thunderbird profile on the laptop but I've noticed the names of the individual mail files within the Maildir folder include the local machine name. This could have implications for rsync-ing the Mailldir folder I imagine and also for any messages sent/received while using the laptop as they will include a different machine name. Can the Dovecot Maildir folder cope with multiple sources/machine names. I don't know enough about how the Dovecot mapping files within the Maildir folder work to take the risk at this stage.

gvim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk