[Gllug] Open Source Hardware User Group meeting on Thursday.

Walter Stanish walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com
Wed Apr 28 05:24:42 UTC 2010

> Believe me I'd love to feel safe enough to go out and leave my front
> door unlocked all day but that's just not the world we live in any more,
> if I had no possesions maybe I would feel differently but I do and I owe
> it to my clients to take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of
> their stuff too.

If you are that paranoid - and there is call for it - consider 'new user
profile
running in a cut-down, custom-compiled browser in a new virtual machine
with highly restricted permissions, accessed via VNC exclusively' as your
new default browser....

At the same time, it may make sense to spoof a more mainstream user
agent (more difficult identification), use both NIDS and a logging local
proxy that automatically delays new page requests by a weighted amount
of seconds (spoof 'im a new user' to foil behavioural profiling)...
maybe chain that to use external proxies ... wireless only connections
via open wifi ... randomised MAC address of course ... tunnel over SSH
through machines in a random country you have no affiliation (or
extradition treaty) with, then repeat ...

There are many more techniques, but each degree of security
("some would say paranoia, but they don't know the TRUTH!") does cost
you a degree of time and mainstream identification, which can
subtract from any remnant shared experience with the rest of the
population... problematic if you plan to mingle (vs. build super-bunker
and hibernate whilst cultivating incomparable power and influence).

As someone who's both hibernated and mingled to some extent - both
can be fun!

In the end, all nice in theory, but security's all relative... and it's a
straight up gamble anyway.  All you can do is influence the odds.

In closing - you seem to have gone past most people by simply
disabling javascript - maybe leave it at that...

- Walter