[Gllug] Open Source Hardware User Group meeting on Thursday.

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Wed Apr 28 13:14:40 UTC 2010

Walter Stanish wrote:
>> Believe me I'd love to feel safe enough to go out and leave my front
>> door unlocked all day but that's just not the world we live in any more,
>> if I had no possesions maybe I would feel differently but I do and I owe
>> it to my clients to take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of
>> their stuff too.
>>

> If you are that paranoid - and there is call for it - consider 'new user
> profile
> running in a cut-down, custom-compiled browser in a new virtual machine
> with highly restricted permissions, accessed via VNC exclusively' as your
> new default browser....

Erk! Since when has VNC been a secure technology!?

Clearly there's no need to be paranoid but there _are_ real threats to
ones security and privacy on-line so if you have anything worth
protecting you should at least pluck the low hanging fruit. Turning off
javascript by default is almost pure win. It requires next to no effort
(it canbe reenabled in a second or two) yet it massively increases your
surfing security.

For most situations there's no need for a VMs or SSH tunelling or TOR
(or sarcasm ;) although all that stuff has it's place and in some
situations would be sensible to use, if for example you were a tech
consultant visiting China for example

Cheers,

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk