[Gllug] Rsync dovecot Maildir directories

gvim gvimrc at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 7 13:30:42 UTC 2010

On 07/04/2010 10:46, Steve Kemp wrote:
> On Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 00:37:31 +0100, gvim wrote:
>
>>> Can you connect to the IMAP server on port 143 on your localhost
>>> with that username and password?
>>>
>> Yes, I have Thunderbird connected to it and it's all working.
>
>    If you're really connecting to localhost:143 in thunderbird then
>   that is an oddity.  I'd be tempted to suggest the settings are confused
>   and you're really going elsewhere.
>
>    However it should be easy enough to test.  What happens if you
>   run:
>
>     telnet localhost 143
>
>    If you see a prompt/banner/response then it is running and the
>   error message we all diagnosed from is confused at best, or wrong at
>   worst.
>
>    If you see no response, or connection refused, then the error message
>   was valid and your thunderbird setup is not as described.
>
> Steve
> --
> http://www.steve.org.uk/

[***@***]$ telnet localhost 143
Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
Trying fe80::1...
telnet: connect to address fe80::1: Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.

That's probably part of the cause, ie. my /etc/hosts is prioritising the wrong address. Anyway, I solved the problem with /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf. Originally I had:

listen = localhost

After resetting to the default:

listen = *

... imapsync worked fine.