[Gllug] Rsync dovecot Maildir directories

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Wed Apr 7 08:57:44 UTC 2010

--------

Steve Kemp writes:

>   telnet localhost 143
>
>  If you see a prompt/banner/response then it is running and the
> error message we all diagnosed from is confused at best, or wrong at
> worst.

If the telnet doesn't work, it could be something as simple as needing
an iptables rule allowing traffic on localhost. But even if the telnet
succeeds, it doesn't necessarily mean that the error message is wrong.
It could be being blocked by a Linux Security Module (something like
SELinux, for example), which could permit telnet to connect, but not
imapsync. OK, so it would seem to be a strange policy to have in place,
but it might explain what's happening here.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk