[Gllug] Trojans and social engineering

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Fri Aug 13 04:00:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:39 AM, - Tethys <tethys at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sadly, I'd say it's already changed. You only have to skim read
> the Ubuntu forums to find endless proof of that.

Ok, maybe "most" is too high a statement, perhaps "more" is a better one.

> When most Linux boxen are being used as single user machines, what's
> the difference between the two? What solace is there in losing all
> your personal data, but knowing that /bin/ls hasn't been replaced
> with a malware version?

My experience is that you don't lose your data.  Either your machine is not
fully compromised and they end up leaving you alone or your machine becomes
a bot in a network and again they leave your data alone so you don't
notice.  If they wiped your system, it wouldn't do them much good.

Andy