[Gllug] Trojans and social engineering

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Fri Aug 13 08:38:53 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 04:06 +0100, general_email at technicalbloke.com
wrote:
> On 11/08/10 16:39, - Tethys wrote:
> >
> > When most Linux boxen are being used as single user machines, what's
> > the difference between the two? What solace is there in losing all
> > your personal data, but knowing that /bin/ls hasn't been replaced
> > with a malware version?
> >
> > Tet

> Well said, that point doesn't get made often enough!
>
> I couldn't give a toss about my system files remaining uninfected if the
> privacy and security of the 4TB of data under my user account is
> imperilled :/
>
> Roger.

I entirely agree, but this just demonstrates the requirement for regular
backups!

My mailserver does the Windows users the courtesy of virus - checking
their mail (in both directions), but the hassle of keeping the malware
scanner up to date and the performance hit we have to take to scan all
the mail makes it inconvenient.  I'm thinking of just banning any
Windows connections - forcing the hand of the few remaining Windows
die-hard users that have mail accounts and persuading them to move to
Macs (if they must) or to Ubuntu (the preferred solution).

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk