[Gllug] Printer recommendations

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Mon Aug 23 14:57:10 UTC 2010

On 23 August 2010 14:39, James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 August 2010 12:41, John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:
>> Dylan wrote:
>>  > ...and one which will be reatively
>>> straightforward to get set up with CUPS / sane ...
>>

>> Even I was startled about just how simple it is these days.  I haven't
>> installed a printer in years because I have a printer attached to my
>> network server and every machine I connect to the LAN just picks it up
>> automatically.  I didn't realise it had got that simple for local
>> printers too.
>>

> For network printers, there is still a feature missing.
> Steps
> 1) User Opens document
> 2) User Press "Print document"
> 3) Printer starts printing.
> 4) Printer finishes printing last page of document.
> 5) User informed "Printing complete". I.e. The last page has actually
> been printed.
>
> From what I can tell, step 5 is missing.
> The number of times I walk up to an office printer, and it is still
> printing someone elses print job and I have to wait. I "step 5" would
> be nice.
>
> There is a complication, Step 5 is a bit difficult with "follow me"
> office printing.
> With "follow me" printing, I send the document to the same print
> queue. I then have to walk up to the printer I wish the print to
> actually come from and swipe an ID card. Only then does it start
> printing my document.
> It does have the advantage that the company I work for has probably
> over 500 printers in offices all over the world, but I only need one
> printer configured on my desktop and it can print on any one of the
> 500 printers I swipe my ID card on.
>
> Kind Regards

Nice Feature.

As far as I can see the feature thats wanted is to actually be able to
see the queue and know when your document has actually reached the top
which with network printer can be a problem. ie

Local Cups has a Queue which passes to
The server the printer is actually configured on (which has its own queue.
The Network printer which has a third queue.

Depending on which queue it sits in you can do different things, (such
as delete it, re print it etc) really this should all be one queue but
in a big network environment this gets very very complicated.

Peter
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk