[Gllug] Cheap rackmount servers

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 14:40:55 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Lucian <lucian at lastdot.org> wrote:

> Do you happen to know some providers of cheap rackmount servers? Dell
> etc are a bit too much for my budget.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with the others that are telling
you cheap is not what you want here. Cheap implies less reliable
components (whether you choose to believe it or not). Rackmount
implies it's going to be in a remote datacentre somewhere. Neither of
those two statements are absolutes, but they're both pretty accurate
in the real world. The cost of maintenance when a remotely located
machine fails will dwarf anything you save by getting a cheap machine
to start with. True, most "enterprise class" hardware is obscenely
overpriced for what you get, and isn't usually good value. But it's
also true that the other end of the scale gives you very poor quality,
and will probably cost you more in the long run[1]. I'd suggest aiming
for somewhere in the middle. I've always been happy with DNUK:

https://secure.dnuk.com/store/servers-rackmount-1u.php

Tet

[1] Unless you treat them as disposable and simply have enough of them
that redundancy makes up for everything else. Google proved that to be
a winning strategy.

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk