[Gllug] Black screen, probably a KDE fault.

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 15:32:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 04:08:00PM +0100, John G Walker wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:28:11 +0100 John Edwards
> <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > The XSyncBadAlarm looks to be the most suspicious.
> >
> > A quick Google search for XSyncBadAlarm:
> > 	http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=XSyncBadAlarm+KDE&btnG=Search
> > produces a lot of results, mainly to do with KDE having problems
> > with advanced features on closed source Nvidia and Radeon drivers.
>
> I do indeed have a Nvidia graphics card, but this has been running
> quite happily for the last year and I haven't changed anything.
>
> One of the pages found by that Google search does, however, mention
> $display. When I try to run startkde it tells me $display might not be
> set, and running "echo $display" gives me a blank line (though this
> might, of course, be non-printable characters).

'echo $DISPLAY' should produce ":0.0".

> How do I proceed now?

Can you run enough of KDE to get the control centre running
and disable any features to do with 3D, compositing or DRI?

If not then try moving the ~/.kde* files out of the way.

Apart from that try selecting a different window manager or
"failsafe" at the login screen (assuming it's kdm or similar).

Or try to force SuSE to switch from the closed source Nvidia
drive to the open source one, or use the VGA compatible driver.
I've not used SuSE for about 8 years and so don't know where
it keeps it's xorg.conf file.

Otherwise I hope someone who uses KDE or SuSE can help you
tomorrow.