[Gllug] Black screen, probably a KDE fault.

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 15:08:00 UTC 2010

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:28:11 +0100 John Edwards
<john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:

> The XSyncBadAlarm looks to be the most suspicious.
>
> A quick Google search for XSyncBadAlarm:
> 	http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=XSyncBadAlarm+KDE&btnG=Search
> produces a lot of results, mainly to do with KDE having problems
> with advanced features on closed source Nvidia and Radeon drivers.

I do indeed have a Nvidia graphics card, but this has been running
quite happily for the last year and I haven't changed anything.

One of the pages found by that Google search does, however, mention
$display. When I try to run startkde it tells me $display might not be
set, and running "echo $display" gives me a blank line (though this
might, of course, be non-printable characters).

How do I proceed now?

--
 All the best,
 John