[Gllug] Black screen, probably a KDE fault.

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 11:24:17 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 12:00:13PM +0100, John G Walker wrote:
> Help!!!!
>
> I'm running OpenSuSE 11.2 with KDE 4. It's all been running hunk-dory
> until about 15 minutes ago when the screen decided to go black, leaving
> only the active windows showing.
>
> It's not a a hardware problem, since I can see and use my email client
> (as you can see), but I can't get hold of any program that doesn't open
> automatically on starting up. I can also use the command line but
> opening a non-KDE session. I've tried shutting down and rebooting.
>
> Anyone got any ideas? An immediate response would be appreciated,

I don't use KDE, but it sounds like the window manager has died
or is not starting.

If you are using a login screen such as kdm, then check what window
manager you are selecting at login. Make sure this is set to KDE and
not "failsafe" (or something similar).

Once logged in try running 'kwin' from a terminal and check the output
for errors.

Also try running 'startkde' which will go through the whole KDE
initialisation again.

If you can't find something to fix then as a last option you could try
moving your .kde and .kde4 directories and .kderc files somewhere else
which will reset your KDE settings back to the default.