[Gllug] Black screen, probably a KDE fault.

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 17:11:32 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 05:56:08PM +0100, John G Walker wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 17:47:01 +0100 John Edwards
> <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> That sounds like your filesystem is full or corrupt. Running 'df -h'
>> and 'df -i' will tell you the space and inodes available.
>
> df -h rtells me that /dev/sda2 is 100% used.
> df -i tells me the inodes for that partition are only 15% full.
>
> I've forgotten what I've got in /dev/sda2, but how do I find that out?

Does 'df -h' not tell you that in the last column?

Below /dev/md1 is the root filesytem as the "Mounted on" column is /
--------
$ df -h
/dev/md1               25G  9.8G   14G  43% /
--------

If 'df' it doesn't then the 'mount' command should.

> I think it may be a corrupt file system, since I attempted the
> suggestion of creating a new user and logging on. It refused to do
> this, telling me that /tmp was full. This is highly unlikely,
> since /tmp is assigned to a temporary file system.

Run 'mount' to be sure because it also tells you the type of
filesystem. If it tmpfs then run 'free -t' to check how much
memory (and swap) you have free.

> I have the installation disk for this OS, which I hope will let me do
> a fsck. Could you walk me through what I should do?

No, I don't know SuSE well enough.

I suspect that either / (the root filesystem) or /tmp is full.

If the file system that holds /tmp is full then the X11 socket may
not be able to be created, and so X clients will not be able to
communicate with the X server through it.