[Gllug] Black screen, probably a KDE fault.

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 17:26:55 UTC 2010

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 18:11:25 +0100 John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> On 31 August 2010 17:56, John G Walker
> <johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >> df -h rtells me that /dev/sda2 is 100% used.
> > df -i tells me the inodes for that partition are only 15% full.
> >
> > I've forgotten what I've got in /dev/sda2, but how do I find that
> > out?
>
> du -h  /

This seems to list every file on the system. It doesn't mention
partitions.

> > I think it may be a corrupt file system, since I attempted the
> > suggestion of creating a new user and logging on. It refused to do
> > this, telling me that /tmp was full. This is highly unlikely,
> > since /tmp is assigned to a temporary file system.
>
> Do you mean /tmp is on a ramdisk, or is on another disk partition?

It's on ramdisk. I've got it as default, which, I think, gives me half
my memory. I've got 4Gb ram, so I think I should have 2Gb in my /tmp
directory, which gets cleared every time I reboot.

> > I have the installation disk for this OS, which I hope will let me
> > do a fsck. Could you walk me through what I should do?
>

> run du -h
>
> first candidate will be /var  - unless of course this on another
> partition. Assuming /var is on the /dev/sda2 partition, get in there
> and start cleaning it up.
> /var/tmp is a good place to start

du -h /var/tmp ends by telling me

42M /var/tmp

Do you mean that I should run fsck on /var/tmp? Sorry. I'm not really
following this.

I think we're on the right lines in pursuing the idea of a corrupt file
system. but I'm in unknown territory in dealing with it,

--
 All the best,
 John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk