[Gllug] Unsubscribing and why

Dean Wilson dwilson at unixdaemon.net
Wed Aug 18 14:45:48 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 03:35:56PM +0100, pmgazz wrote:

Hi pmgazz,

> I just exited from a flame in #GLLUG - can't stay on a list where people
> are prepared to call women 'slappers', 'chavs' etc - or to make the kind
> of contemptuous statements about working class people and/or women that
> I was really shocked to hear.

It's scant consolation but the mailing list and IRC channel are very
different in nature, and although those kind of comments are NOT acceptable
on either it's much easier for us to police them here on the mailing list.

After a quick look it seems that none of the GLLUG admins have ops in the
channel at the moment so kicking them isn't going to happen quickly.

> I don't think it's helpful for FLOSS groups to create environments which
> are frankly hostile to women or to people who do not have privileged
> backgrounds and I'm sorry that I'm therefore not able to participate in
> my local LUG.

Please don't allow one incident, as offensive as it is, to be the
reason not to participate in the group. GLLUG as a whole is very
inclusive and has always had a policy to encourage participation and
welcome new members.

  Dean
--
Dean Wilson             http://www.unixdaemon.net
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk