[Gllug] hello

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Fri Aug 13 03:00:35 UTC 2010

On 11/08/10 08:45, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 22:23 +0100, Frank Scott wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 09:30:46PM +0100, Shannon Carver wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone notice the increase in unsolicited junk recently? :P
>>>
>> I've set his moderation bit on the 3 GLLUG lists he has subscribed to.
>>
>> I presume he has some 'bot which automatically trawls for subscription
>> lists and signs him up.
>>

> There's a lot of it about.  It's a Windoze Trojan that has become very
> common lately, spread through music downloads, ignored by many of the
> "anti-malware" programs, that uses Gmail accounts for the purpose of
> spamming.  The Trojan uses a malformed .lnk file placed on the victims'
> desktop, which the uninformed will click on!  This is a demonstration of
> the impossibility of making anything from MS properly secure.
>
> C.

Chris,

If you have a trojan leaving random icons on your desktop forget social
engineering you're already pwnd!

The worrying thing about the recent MS .LNK file problem is that it
DOESN'T require the user to click on a malicious shortcut, they merely
need to DISPLAY a malicious shortcut (or invoke it's parsing some other
way). Can anyone say "autorun.inf"?

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk