[Gllug] Instructional AV player

DL Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Tue Aug 17 08:22:17 UTC 2010

Chris Bell wrote:
> On Fri 13 Aug, DL Neil wrote:
>> Is there an (FOSS, of course) audio (?and video) player which will
>> stop-start, so as to present a series, one instruction at a time?
>>
>    Can you use something like speakup for blind users to read text
> instructions off screen? You may get some hints from the Knoppix Adriane
> distribution, compiled because Klaus Knopper has a wife who is blind, and
> it is apparently much used by other blind users.

Thanks Chris (and others), that's another good idea.

The problem I have run into is that I want to have a 'play-list' of
files/tracks, but whereas everyone else uses the play-list to run
through a series of tracks without intervention this application needs
the stop/pause and some sort of intervention before continuing.

I have discovered mpg123, a neat (and efficient) command line player.
I've cobbled together a BASH script as proof of concept. Am wondering
about using Python (yes, finally an excuse to have a play with the
language!) to do the 'play list' bit and access mpg123's API at the
appropriate moments... (a roll-your-own XMMS - or maybe not)

Of course that only works for audio. Sadly the ogg123 alternative
appears to be lacking support/community (or I was looking in the wrong
places - again). This bare solution is about as simple as it can get,
and thus just about within my meager skill-set.

Regards,
=dn

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk