[Gllug] Cheap rackmount servers

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Sun Aug 22 20:42:35 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-08-22 at 18:56 +0100, Lucian wrote:
> I do not have a special requirements to be honest. I want a decent
> machine, performance-wise (virt technology a must), but as cheap as
> possible :)
> Ideally I'd try to fit a (decent) desktop mobo and quad-core cpu in a
> 1U case and colocate it; I do realize it is going to be hard or
> impossible to do this.

If cost is an option then I strongly recommend that you consider a
dedicated server rather than buying and colocating your own server.

See http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/ks/ for an example of the kind of value
that is available. Consider that the i7-2T system they offer would
probably need about 1AMP of power which you can expect to cost you about
£100 per month in colocation fees.

If I were setting up anew I might well decide to rent servers from such
a supplier rather than buying them and contracting for racks in
Docklands.

Whether it's appropriate for you will depend upon what your requirements
are for bandwidth and latency.

Jason Clifford
--
UK Free Software Network Ltd