[Gllug] Cheap rackmount servers

Lucian lucian at lastdot.org
Sun Aug 22 20:32:19 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 8:35 PM, Andy Millar <andy at andymillar.co.uk> wrote:
>> > Do you happen to know some providers of cheap rackmount servers? Dell
>> > etc are a bit too much for my budget.
>> > Also I'd be curious if someone managed to fit some comodity hardware
>> > inside a rackmount case.
>
> I wouldn't worry about the hardware cost too much.
>
> Chances are that your increase in colo bill by buying a cheap server will easily negate any cost savings.
>
> You really want to look at the Dell R210s. Thei are painfully cheap and with all the power saving on are really cheap to colo.
>
> Andy
>

> --

Yeah, I like the r210s. Nice and compact thingies.
Andy, care to elaborate on the "colo bill"? (I can colo for free, but
just for the sake of it).
Afaik power management is quite decent in linux 2.6 for most hardware,
it doesn't have to have Dell or HP written on it to work.

Alain, "cheap machine tend not to be as fast or reliable as more
expensive machines" - I don't believe you! :)
John, the server would be for my personal stuff. I don't mind
downtimes as long as I have some control over them. Been using
commodity hardware for years now, haven't had much problems (mostly
it's the PSU or HDD that goes first and replacing them is as easy as
paying a visit to the nearest hw store). Obviously I want as much
redundancy as I can get, so 2 drives (for raid1) at the minimum.

Thanks for your replies, guys. I'll continue to see if it's feasible
to fit a desktop mobo in a 1U case.

Cheers!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk