[Gllug] Black screen, probably a KDE fault.

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 20:29:53 UTC 2010

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 21:24:33 +0100 John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> BTW, is there a good reason for having /tmp mounted as a ramdisk?
> Before the howls start, I have installed hundreds of cluster systems
> as pure ramdisk systems - ie they network boot and don't have any hard
> disks at all, so I do know that this is all about.
> Just curious as to why this is being done here.

The first reason for doing this was that I was continually having
problems with /tmp filling up. And someone on this list opined that
anyone who didn't have /tmp in ram was mad (or words to that effect).

The second reason, which I discovered once I'd installed it, is that it
doesn't half speed up response,

--
 All the best,
 John