[Gllug] Black screen, probably a KDE fault.

Lesley Binks lesleyb at pgcroft.net
Tue Aug 31 14:43:50 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 03:10:29PM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> On 31 August 2010 14:48, John G Walker <johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I've only ever installed these as part of an OS installation. How would
> > I go about reinstalling? And would a re-installation fix the interface
> > with X?
>
> I would say not. Your KDE libraries and utilities are  unlikely to be corrupt.
>
> To install Gnome - errrrr....  just run Yast, go to Software
> Management and install the Gnome package group.
> Its probably installed anyway.

IIRC Suse installed both by default

A quick search for 'kde bkack screen opensuse' shows a few links to
kde.org forums
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=33878

from Feb 2009.  Just searching on 'kde black screen' will show some
kubuntu links to same problem.

Would Gnome and KDE use the same device driver?  If it's the
device driver and both use it there may be no improvement
and sadly a search 'gnome black screen' shows some results.

The nVidia linux support forums might be a useful read :
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=dfb66774c95ded9dd6c80be933a0a7de&f=14

Good luck!

Lesley
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk