[Gllug] Black screen, probably a KDE fault.

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 14:46:25 UTC 2010

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:43:50 +0100 Lesley Binks <lesleyb at pgcroft.net>
wrote:

> > To install Gnome - errrrr....  just run Yast, go to Software
> > Management and install the Gnome package group.
> > Its probably installed anyway.
>
> IIRC Suse installed both by default

No, it asks you which you want to install (or lets you install both). I
just installed KDE.

> A quick search for 'kde bkack screen opensuse' shows a few links to
> kde.org forums
> http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=33878

Thanks, I've seen that. I don't have a completely black screen. I can
see the windows of opened programs (eg I can see what I'm typing now).
This is a different problem.

> from Feb 2009.  Just searching on 'kde black screen' will show some
> kubuntu links to same problem.
>
> Would Gnome and KDE use the same device driver?  If it's the
> device driver and both use it there may be no improvement
> and sadly a search 'gnome black screen' shows some results.
>
> The nVidia linux support forums might be a useful read :
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=dfb66774c95ded9dd6c80be933a0a7de&f=14

Thanks, I'll look at that. Though, since graphics are working okay on
opened programs, I don't think it is a driver problem,

--
 All the best,
 John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk