[Gllug] Backup drive for CentOS 5 remote setup

gvim gvimrc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 23:21:44 UTC 2010

On 16/08/2010 17:36, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> I've used Seagate  usb2 disks ( and HP and Western Digital ones ) with
> CentOS without a problem. Just make sure your DC has the resource to
> plug the power in somewhere! I've had an issue where the DC only had IEC
> 13/14/19 sockets in and around the rack.
>
> - KB

Well, I trusted your judgement and bought at 1TB Seagate "FreeAgent Pro":

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149455

... only to find myself knee-deep in a quagmire of Linux incompatibility woes. Did you never come across this:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1039498/seagate-snubs-linux

.... or this:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/07/seagate-freeagent-drives-not-down-with-linux/

... or this:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=DESC&topic_id=18156&forum=37

I formatted the whole drive ext3 under /dev/sdb on CentOS 5 and now I find the drive is randomly dropping into idle mode or powered-down mode. Worse, these power settings can only be modified from a Windows control panel so there goes my scripted automated backup system.

gvim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk