[Gllug] netbook recommendations

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Thu Aug 19 12:53:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Christopher Currie <ccurrie at usa.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 14:55:23 -0400 Andrew Farnsworth <
> farnsaw at stonedoor.com>
> wrote:
>
> > To drag this conversation back on track, I would recommend getting one of
> > the new Acer Aspire One's that have the new dual core dual thread (hyper
> > threading) CPUs that run a 1.66 Ghz.
>
> Does this (or any of those that have been recommended) have a solid-state
> hard
> drive?
>
> I still have an old EEPC 701 and it does what I wanted it for - but only
> because the hard drive's solid state. Would like to replace it next year
> with
> a new Linux netbook - but (recent posts excepted) they all seemed to have
> Windoze and a mechanical hard drive.
>
> Christopher Currie

Well, I may have to stand corrected, I cannot find a Acer Aspire One with
the new dual core CPU... all of the D400/D500 cpu machines I can fine are
NetTops.  Also, I cannot find any of them that have a SSD in them anymore.
It appears that they all have hard drives.  Though you could just buy an SSD
and replace the HD.  I think they have found that for normal use, and SSD
doesn't really save power as they don't have an idle mode like HDs do.  They
run at a fixed power which is higher than the idle mode of the HD.

Not sure about other brands of netbooks, but I have generally found they
follow the Acer Aspire One pretty closely.

Andy