[Gllug] Netbook recommendations

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sun Aug 15 19:24:25 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 14:49 +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> Anyone care to recommend some Linux netbooks? Thinking of buying some to
> allow some sofa surfing ... my kids have a better PC than mine but there's
> isn't near the TV...

I use an Acer Aspire One - in fact I have two of them (a 9" and an 11"),
and both run the netbook respin of Ubuntu flawlessly.  They came with
their own flavour of Xandros Linux on them, but that was quickly
replaced with something that I liked.

I've also tried Mandriva, Fedora, Mint and one or two versions of Puppy
Linux on them, and finally settled on Ubuntu because it gave me the
combination of packages I'd find useful and an utterly stable system.

The larger netbook has the extended battery pack, and I find that I can
frequently get almost 12 hours use between charges!

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk