[Gllug] Instructional AV player

salsaman at xs4all.nl salsaman at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 15 04:00:46 UTC 2010

On Sat, August 14, 2010 21:51, DL Neil wrote:
> salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
>> On Sat, August 14, 2010 00:32, DL Neil wrote:
>>> Is there an (FOSS, of course) audio (?and video) player which will
>>> stop-start, so as to present a series, one instruction at a time?
>>
>> You could do this very easily with LiVES. Simply load each video clip in
>> turn and then save it as a clip set.
>
> =ahah, I knew there were folk here who know what AV means!
>

>> Reload the clip set and the user can play the first clip. Then after
>> playing they can select the next clip (ctrl-page-down, or with mouse
>> wheel
>> or from Clips menu, etc).
>
> =for ease of use/minimal distraction, is there a way to re-prog this so
> that users can hit (for example) the Space bar (the easiest key)? cf a
> multiple finger/hand operation?

Not from within the application, but you could edit gui.c and replace
GDK_Page_Up with GDK_Space.

If you have a joystick, you could also program one or more of the buttons
to select the next clip.

>> You could of course create a small script which detects a voice command
>> and sends a /clip/select command followed by a /video/play command.
>
> =Excellent! Does LiVES have a voice detection module or do you have a
> suggestion for this, please?

There is no voice detection built in to LiVES. I am not sure what you
would use for that part. But if you look at tools/autolives.pl there is an
example of how to select a particular clip from a perl script. You would
need to start LiVES like:

lives -set <myset> -norecover -oscstart 9999

Cheers,
Salsaman.
http://lives.sourceforge.net

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk