[Gllug] Do many people use their own local repos/mirrors

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Aug 30 09:35:15 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 09:59:05PM +0100, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> I'm working on a "smart mirror" catalyst web application and was
> wondering how many people use their own repos, mirrors and mini-cpans
> to get an idea of usage etc and if people would pay for somebody else
> to provide something like that for them, yes it'll be all or mostly
> open sourced, if it's successful I'd like to be able to provide some
> commercial services to cover the project development costs and/or
> subsidise my other open source coding.

I used to mirror Fedora repos and other things nightly.  Nowadays I
use a very large, aggressive cache (using a highly tuned squid config)
to achieve the same effect but 'on demand'.

I'm not quite how a commercial offering would work, unless it was
physically located in my house, since the aim of the above is to avoid
the overhead of pulling stuff down over 2 Mbps ADSL.  Maybe I'm not
your target market :-(

Rich.

--
Richard Jones