[Gllug] Do many people use their own local repos/mirrors

DL Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 05:55:24 UTC 2010

Aaron Trevena wrote:
> Hi GLLUGers
>
> I'm working on a "smart mirror" catalyst web application and was
> wondering how many people use their own repos, mirrors and mini-cpans
> to get an idea of usage etc and if people would pay for somebody else
> to provide something like that for them, yes it'll be all or mostly
> open sourced, if it's successful I'd like to be able to provide some
> commercial services to cover the project development costs and/or
> subsidise my other open source coding.

Hi Aaron,

I suspect I'm not smart enough to understand what you mean by
"catalyst", or for that matter "smart".

I maintain in-house repositories for CentOS rpms, just as others do for
Debian et-al's apt (etc); with the idea that the WAN download happens
once, but LAN distributions can initiate as many times as necessary (and
in whatever form is appropriate) without bandwidth charge.

Don't have any locally-developed rpm packages to worry about - although
I have been following recent PHP deployment methodology developments
with some interest*.

At one time recently, whilst traveling-about I had no way to link my
webdev machine to the Internet, so I had the convoluted work-flow of WAN
rsync-ing the official repository to my laptop (which I could connect,
at the local library), and LAN-loading from there into a Cobbler server,
and thence...
(you don't have to be crazy to work here, but...)

What might your system do that Cobbler (and for that matter, other repo
builders) doesn't?
How might it link to Puppet provisioning?
What of VM images?

Regards,
=dn
(with due regard to my ?narrow RHEL/CentOS mode of thinking)

* one idea amongst them being rpms - to include the entire environment,
MySQL (for eg) and not just the PHP application
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk