[Gllug] Printer recommendations

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Aug 20 20:25:52 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 08:54:50PM +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> I was given some time back an Epson Colour Inkjet.
> I hardley ever use it - as a consequence every time I do the damn thing needs
> several cleaning cycles before it produces anuything remotely acceptable.
> Inkjets are really only OK if you use them regularly (or at least remember to
> print any old thing periodically to keep the heads clean).  And as already
> pinted out the cost of the ink is horrific unless you can find cheap
> non-manufacturer ink that works OK. They are also generally pretty damn slow
> compared with lasers.   Lasers on the other hand are much faster, don't suffer
> clogging,  and need replacement toner much less often (but with colour lasers
> at least they make a fairly big dent in the wallet!)

I looked around before I bought the Brother that I mentioned a couple of hours ago,
including asking this list.

One thing that convinced me to go with an inkjet was that I occasionally want to
print a photo or few on photo paper -- every month or three.

I could not find a laser printer that would do the resolution that is needed for this.

Maybe I did not look hard enough, or things are different now.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk