[Gllug] Unsubscribing and why

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Aug 21 23:21:40 UTC 2010

On 19 Aug 2010, JLMS stated:
> The worst abuse I have seen in this list is against top posters :-P

Surely not. Have we forgotten a certain recruiter so soon?

> Baring that you will be bored to death by intricate technical
> discussions by people that know their  stuff way in way out.

Seconded. We're not all sexist pigs, honestly (anyone who thinks women
are not superior to men is invited to retain that belief after ten
seconds talking to my mother).

;}

> Lets let the cowards know that they are held in utter contempt and
> hopefully one day they will realize that their "jokes" are a sign of
> immaturity and insecurity..

You haven't seen the horrible LWN threads on sexism, have you? There are
a lot of real male chauvinist pigs in the community who appear sane
until women appear anywhere in a conversation :/ many come out with
terrible cod-biological arguments of the 'men are better at tech because
women are meant to stay at home having babies' variety (the sort of
thing which makes actual evolutionary biologists get really angry, or
depressed, depending on the biologist).

geekfeminism has countless other horrible examples, up to and including
death threats. I know that if I were female in this environment I'd be
concealing my gender, and have great respect for those few who aren't.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk