[Gllug] Trojans and social engineering

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Sun Aug 15 10:08:07 UTC 2010

Gordon Joly wrote on 15 August 2010 10:15:

> Well, yes. I had a small problem with a user level break in, via the
Coppermine Gallery package
> which Fantastico had not given me the option upgrade to the latest
security patch) so that I had
> to upgrade manually in the end.

I wouldn't touch Fantastico with a barge pole, to be honest.  It's a good
idea, but I cannot begin to tell you how much trouble it brings when the
package becomes out of date or it's discovered that it has a security
vulnerability.  They're just not fast enough.

I'd rather see developers of these individual packages develop a better and
more user-friendly (albeit with security in mind as well) installer for
their products then let a third party script installer try to do
*everything*.

Regards,

Martyn

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk