[Gllug] entropykey: why did nobody ever mention this thing before?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Aug 2 20:05:49 UTC 2010

On 2 Aug 2010, tethys at gmail.com told this:
> I haven't been keeping up with developments lately, but are there tests
> that are deemed sufficient? The web page mentioned passing the Diehard
> tests, but I don't know if they're deemed a sufficienty good indicator
> of randomness or not.

Well, the key uses the Maurer test, an old staple in this area (even
I've heard of them). It's been attacked and reduced in effectiveness (by
e.g. <http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.140.9118>)
but not as far as I know defeated outright.

(I've been out of this field for ten years or so, so I'm not sure if
there are better, more recent tests. I bought my key at least partially
out of nostalgia for my long-gone crypto days ;) )
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk