[Gllug] Backup drive for CentOS 5 remote setup

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Aug 17 14:57:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 01:56:58PM +0100, gvim wrote:
> On 17/08/2010 08:28, Richard Jones wrote:
>
> > With RHEL 5 you'll start to hit problems with drives over 2TB in size
> > and drives which use 4K sectors (not sure if such drives are available
> > as USB drives yet).  The common DOS partitioning scheme (MBR) can't
> > cope with partition boundaries>  2 TB, although it works (by luck)
> > provided all the partition boundaries are<= 2TB.  Drives which report
> > only 4K sectors can't be used at all, although they are not common at
> > the moment.  This of course is all fixed in RHEL 6.
> >
> > Rich.
> >

> Why would this be a problem if I'm going to format the drive ext3?

AIUI the 2TB (MBR) limit would not be a problem if you used a single
partition.

The 4K sector thing would probably confuse the kernel so it wouldn't
recognize the drive (except that some of these drives lie about their
real sector size to the OS, proving once again that we *never* *learn*).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat