[Gllug] A long shot... Windows support

Andy McGarty andy at mac1systems.com
Sun Dec 26 23:42:59 UTC 2010

On 26/12/2010 19:22, Tethys wrote:
> I know it's a long shot on a London based Linux list, but does
> anyone know of someone reliable doing Windows support in the
> Bournemouth area?
>
> Over Christmas, it became apparent that I'm completely out of
> my depth when trying to fix my parents computers. Their machines
> are not doing DNS lookups properly, so they can't get their
> email. And on Windows, I'm lacking the tools I need to diagnose
> and fix the problem. Yes, I got as far as enabling telnet (which
> is mysteriously disabled by default) and downloading wireshark.
> But something's blocking DNS traffic. It appears to be on the
> machines themselves, rather than on their PlusNet router. But I
> can't find what. They have something called BullGuard installed,
> but the logs for that show nothing. And I simply don't have
> enough knowledge of how Windows works to know where to look
> next. So it would be better to leave it to someone that does know.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Tet
I thought I'd already replied to this but it was via webmail so perhaps
I pressed the wrong button or you'll get a duplicate.

Have a quick check to see if there is a proxy server set up in internet
settings (tools in internet explorer or from the control panel).  Some
of the scumbags change the setting to route all internet traffic through
them to point the user at spame/advertising sites.

Might also be worth checking the hosts file as I've seen that messed
with before for the same reason.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk