[Gllug] OT: WGA (was: A long shot... Windows support)

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Dec 28 18:14:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 05:22:35PM +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-12-28 at 13:24 +0000, David Damerell wrote:
>> Just don't forget to block WGA.
>
> If you do that, you can't get updates

If you don't install the WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) you can
can still get Automatic Updates, but not use the web-based system.

After you install change the Automatic Updates Control Panel to ask
you before installing, unselect WGA when it pops up, and then select
the "Don't remind again about updates that I have choosen not to
install" (or words to that effect) to avoid it in the future.

> and Windoze will scream that it's
> an illicit copy, eventually dying in a smothering of malware.

Not true if you don't install WGA in the first place (unless you
define Microsoft products like WGA as malware).

<snip politics>