[Gllug] A long shot... Windows support

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Tue Dec 28 18:24:29 UTC 2010

On 28/12/10 13:24, David Damerell wrote:
> On Tuesday, 28 Dec 2010, Dave Lambley wrote:
>> David Damerell:
>>> HijackThis is a nice tool to list all the services, settings, and
>>> stuff that malware developers like to play with. Well worth downloading.
>> It doesn't hurt to run Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool
>> when you have a Windows machine behaving unusually.  You can download
>> an .exe to a memory stick or similar.
> Doesn't one normally get it automagically through Windows Update? Just
> don't forget to block WGA.

MRT by default only does a quick scan, if you run it manually you can
run the thorough scan which is worth doing if you suspect you have an
infection, otherwise I wouldn't bother. The first thing I'd do is get
rid of bullguard, they've probably clicked deny on an outbound firewall
dialog, just remove it and put MSE on.

Oh and, why would you block WGA? If you're running legit software at
best it's pointless, at worst it can prevent you from getting updates,
download and free(beer) software from MS.

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk