[Gllug] Computer won't turn on

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sat Dec 4 10:52:33 UTC 2010

On Sat 04 Dec, david at gbenet.com wrote:

> If the PSU fails - then it looks like it's died. If you keep switching
> it on and off you are more likely to damage the motherboard and all
> components attached.
>
> You can buy a new PSU for ten quid. As you have no little beeps - beeps
> tell you what's gone wrong in terms of hardware failures - you need to
> replace the CPU and hope you have not destroyed your motherboard.
>
> David

   A ten quid PSU may not give sufficient output for your computer, and I am
suspicious of the output ratings quoted for some units (absolute peak output
with a favourable wind, etc). In general, the fail safe provisions do
provide some protection, and if there is a problem on one voltage rail the
unit should not show "Power Good"

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk