[Gllug] rssh with public key authentication?

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Dec 8 13:16:34 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 01:05:26PM +0000, gvim wrote:
<snip>
> Sorry, this as well:
>
> Dec  8 12:43:58  sshd[7761]: User <new user> not allowed because account is locked
> Dec  8 12:43:58  sshd[7762]: input_userauth_request: invalid user <new user>
>
> Why invalid user when I've added it to AllowUser?

The "account is locked" message sounds like the user account on the
remote machine has the locked flag in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.
See the "lock" and "unlock" sections of 'man passwd'.

You may have created the new user account with an invalid or locked
password.

Easiest way to check is to login to the new user account using either
a console or 'su'. Full way is to look at /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.