[Gllug] rssh with public key authentication?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Dec 8 20:19:31 UTC 2010

On 8 Dec 2010, John Edwards stated:

> On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 12:53:39PM +0000, gvim wrote:
>> - service sshd restart
>>
>> So now the new user account has the same .ssh/authorized_keys file as an existing user with a working login. However when I try to login all I get is:
>
> Check the contents of the authorized_keys file. It can include
> a lot of different restrictions on where logins are allowed from,
> what commands can be run, environment, etc.
>
> See 'man sshd' for more details on the options in authorized_keys.

Also check the permissions on the ~/.ssh directory, on ~ and on all
parent directories. ~/.ssh must not have any group or other permission
bits turned on, nor may the private key: none of the files in ~/.ssh may
be other- or group-writable: and no directories above ~/.ssh may be
other- or group-writable. (Before OpenSSH 5.6, none of these errors were
diagnosed except via silent authentication failure, as you see here.)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk