[Gllug] I/O messages for non existant device?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Wed Dec 15 16:43:24 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 04:17:12PM +0000, Oliver Howe wrote:
>  ~]# ls -la /dev/sdd
> brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 48 Dec 14 12:27 /dev/sdd
>  ~]# ls -la /dev/sdc
> brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 32 Dec 14 12:27 /dev/sdc
>  ~]#
>
> looks like they got created yesterday when the server rebooted

The device nodes will have been created by udev, reacting to the
detected devices presented by the RAID card.  Unfortunately, this
doesn't necessarily mean that the change/damage on the RAID controller
actually happened then, just that this is when it was first detected.

Does the controller itself- or the controller managment software, if you
are running any - generate any log messages?

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill