[Gllug] Hard disk recommendations please

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 9 11:13:54 UTC 2010

On 8 December 2010 16:24, John Edwards <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:

> Use "missing" as the other device name, eg:
>        sudo mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda2 missing
>
> Then you can format and mount /dev/md0 as the filesystem.

Agree with what John says.
I recently did some OS upgrades on SGI systems which have a mirrored
OS disk (and no other disk at all in the cabinet -
rest of the storage is on the SAN).
Yank out one system disk, install new OS on remaining disk with one
half marked as missing.
You can then roll back sharpish if there are problems.
Once you are happy you can then build the second disk in to the mirror.

The main shenanigans comes from making sure you can boot from either
disk - these systems have EFI rather than a BIOS,
so you can drop to an EFI shell and decide what to boot off or load
diagnostics etc.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk